I don't actually know of any scene kids that talk like 'yEw aRe lyKE s0 hAwt <3XXX' as some examples have shown. From my experience of knowing/seeing scene kids (London is overpopulated with them), here are some basic How To Be A Scene Kid guidelines that you must follow in order to be defined as 'Scene':
1. Wear black drainpipe jeans (guys or girls) the lower slung the better
2. Ensure they show off your hipbones and the waistband of your boxers/girlboxers
3. Team your drainpipes with cutesey 'Punkrose' shoes or ballet shoes/converse/pink and black chequered vans (for girls) and Nike Dunks/chequered Vans slip ons/converse (for guys)
4. Wear youth/medium band t shirts (guys and girls) remember, the tighter the better!
5. Alternatively, girls may choose to wear short denim skirts over cut off black leggins with ballet shoes/converse
6. Ladies, team your kiddie tee with a long string of white pearls
7. Guys may choose to wear a bandana (or two?) either around their neck (or covering their mouth for a myspace
picture) or alternatively tied around their wrist
8. In the colder weather, scene
kids may choose to wear a youth/medium black band hoodie with their outfit, again the smaller the better!
9. These seem to be the most popular choices of clothing for London Scene kids, however naturally there will be variations.
10. BOYS - it's all about the fringe that covers one eye. Scene hair tends to be black (often dyed) or dark brown with blonde bits or red bits or whatever coloured bits are scene at the time. So yes, the front tends to be nice and long and side swept and straightened and the back tends to be spiked up a little bit. Many scene boys opt for the 'messy' look aided with lots and lots of hair products. Some scene boys like to cut their hair themselves to give it that extra choppy look.
GIRLS - Girls tend to opt for the mullet look; extra short choppy layers at the top with long messy hair extensions down to their waist or whatever length they desire (although some scene girls are clever and grow the long bits themselves..well done!) Girls hair tends to be dark brown/black with sections bleached blonde. Like scene guys, scene girls like the messy 'fresh out of bed' look, again aided by mass amounts of hairspray and products.
A popular hair accessory for a scene girl is a bow or headband, which are mostly purchased from Claires Accessories (I have seen a certain pink bow in Claires on about fifty different scene girls..or maybe they were the same girl? Hard to tell..:P)
11. yes, owning a Myspace account is ESSENTIAL. the layout of the myspace profile is up to the user, but most incorporate mass amounts of HTML
12. Stuck on what to write? Most scene kid myspace profiles involve the lines "my friends are better than yours" "i have the best friends in the world" "i smoke and drink too much" "i love to go to shows" "i want to leave this town" "kthnx" among other things
13. Stuck for a myspace name? Scene kids often use their own names written in capital letters, teamed with spaces and exclamation marks "H O L L Y !" and more often than not these names will be 'trademarked' or 'copyrighted' because of course they are incredibly original and must not be copied.
14. Scene kids always post pictures of their amazing friends on their profile, just to support their claim that their friends are better than ours.
THE MYSPACE PHOTOS!
15. Okay you are not a certified scene kid until you have myspace photos. Myspace photos are more often than not photoshopped to death and highly contrasted/very bright to hide the many flaws scene kids have (beneath their many layers of foundation and eye makeup, obviously) Most myspace photos are taken from above (holding the camera above you aimed down at you so you have a birdseye view of your messy hair, youth/medium tee, hipbones jutting out of the top of your tight jeans, and whatever shoes you happen to be wearing for the photograph)
16. Scene girls should always pout for photographs
17. Scene boys should snarl or growl for photographs
18. Hardcore scene girls should snarl or growl for photographs
19. Partially hide your face with your mass amount of hair
20. Some scene kids like to do 'cool' things like photograph themselves snorting cocaine. Whatever floats their boat.
21. Don't forget to add that Oh so Scene caption! "no photoshop, kthnx!"
22. This section is not just for scene girls!
23. Scene boys and girls like to apply mass amounts of eyeliner..it is essential. Scene kids do not leave the house without it, and when applied you must ensure you apply as much of the stuff as your eyelids can support. Ditto with eyeshadow.
24. Scene girls like to cover their faces with foundation (for the oh so cool -not- "deadgirl" scene girl look, opt for a white foundation) and some scene girls finish their look with a sweep of blusher to compliment the 6 inches of pink eyeshadow weighing down their eyelids. How pretty!
25. Some Scene kids, usually of the "dead variety" like to apply concealer to their lips. Dead attractive.
26. This varies. Scene kids like to say they listen to hardcore, but nobody bats an eyelid when their profile song is 'Son of Dork - Ticket Outta Loserville'
27. Most Scene girls love McFLY and go to their shows (this is understandable, McFLY are hot)
28. Most Scene girls love Dougie from McFLY more than you do.
29. Scene Kids go to shows-a-plenty because they are hardcore gig goers by nature. Whether they go to watch the band or to flaunt their sceneness and scope fit scene kids with fringes is an entirely different matter altogether..
WHERE TO FIND A SCENE KID
30. Soho Square
31. H&M (they love it and buy all their clothes from there)
34. Shows. In the queue, alongside the queue, you're bound to find many a scene kid hugging one another or standing with inverted feet and their hands in their pockets, or standing in a huddle holding a digital camera above their heads, posing for that photograph that will no doubt be photoshopped the second its on their PC and uploaded to MySpace to be commented by the Scene Kids enormous list of 'friends'!
35. Scene Kids like to say "kthnx". Deal with it.
36. Scene Kids also like to say "Deal with it". Kthnx.
41. Scene Kids often like to misuse the semi colon. "HI;My names W H A T E V E R !" (trademarked, naturally)
42. They also like to overuse exclamation mark and throw in some '1's and maybe even some 'ones', cos it's cool!!1!1!!one
SCENE KIDS LIKE:
47. Their amazing friends
48. digital cameras
51. art & photography
53. drinking and smoking
54. kissing in the rain
SCENE KIDS DON'T LIKE
55. Scene Kids
56. Random Adds
57. People asking them how they are
58. Anyone outside of their amazing group of friends
SCENE KIDS WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
59. A bf/gf plz?
SCENE KID MYTH
60. Not all scene kids are straight-edge. Most smoke like chimneys to be fair.
TO ENSURE MAXIMUM SCENE-NESS
61. Get pierced! Girls - monroe, snakebite, septum, excessive ear piercings, its all good! Guys - septum, snakebite, stretched ears, eyebrow, backs of necks, surface piercings, its all good!
62. Get tattood! Anything goes, especially stars. Scene Girls like their lower backs, hipbones, feet and ankles tattood, whereas guys opt for sleeves/half sleeves and across their chests.
63. Don't forget to mention what tattoos/piercings you have on your myspace profile!!1!
64. Swear excessively
I guess that pretty much covers How To Be A Scene Kid. Once you've read and followed every single step to the letter, don't forget to take a picture of your newly transformed self (see 'THE MYSPACE PHOTO!') and upload to your Myspace account (after photoshopping, of course). Expect loads of comments saying how "buff" and "pretty" && lush you are, just don't expect anybody to recognise you at a show because to be fair, you all look the same. Kthnxbye xox